Wednesday 1 July 2009

What becomes of the broken hearted?

I heard "What becomes of the broken hearted?" by Jimmy Ruffin on the radio the other day and it set me wondering - what does become of the broken hearted? I have a particular interest in this one as I now consider myself to be in this category of people for the first time in my life having lost my best friend and soul mate. Now don't get me wrong, "What becomes of the broken hearted?" is a very good song, but if you look at the lyrics Jimmy poses a question that he never really bothers to answer which doesn't seem very fair. This set me wondering. What does become of the people whose hearts are broken by whatever event be it by bereavement, illness, divorce or just sheer meanness or nastiness on the part of their partner? There must be a lot of people in this category but they either must either adjust to their new state, hide their broken heart, harden themselves (which I think often happens) or just simply disappear under the carpet. Or perhaps they mend their broken heart somehow and go on to another wonderful relationship eventually. I do wonder which category I will be in but I think it is far too early to tell! Dave was very committed to me having another relationship - in fact so much so that he was eyeing up potential suitors for me on visits to the hospital and around our house when innocent tradesmen visited! I think he would have advertised and interviewed suitable candidates if time had been more on his side! But for me, although I recognise that I don't much fancy being on my own for the next 30+ years it is far too early in the process to even contemplate another relationship. I do find myself "window shopping" lonely hearts advertisements though which is extremely bizarre but unfortunately I think Dave would have to acknowledge that he has spoilt me for other men by doing such a good job of being a husband!

A short post this week as to tell you the truth I am completely and utterly knackered. And the awful thing is I am pretty certain I have not bottomed out yet in terms of upset. Nearly five months of grieving on top of looking after Dave for a very long while have nearly done me in. When I read a book a few months ago that contained advice for people whose partner had died, they said that in the first few months the best advice was to get up, get dressed, drink plenty of water, try to eat healthily and breathe. At the time I laughed at this advice and, I think, in retrospect, tried to do too much to prove this theory wrong (God knows why). I soon realised that this was actually very good, simple advice and adopted a new strategy. The new strategy was to do the above and to put "one foot in front of the other" and "one day at a time" (too cheesy for words). If I had a bad day I put it down to experience and made a fresh start the next day. In the last couple of weeks even putting one foot in front of the other has become tricky and, at times, a bridge too far. I feel like a Mini trying to tow a juggernaut. I would never have believed that one human being could get so tired but my homeopath and doctor do think it is just the grieving process combined with the shock of Dave's death on my body. We have agreed though that if it carries on for another couple of weeks the doctor will run some tests to eliminate nasties like thyroid troubles etc. but in the meantime it is time to try to chill out and relax. Easier said than done in the circumstances!

No comments: