Monday 24 November 2008

Still Dancing!

Well, thank F*** for that! No wheelchair! After last night's post, I thought I'd better let you know in case any of you were concerned.

Dr. Hall changed the cassette this morning, in pretty much record time actually, as he rather sneakily came out of the theatre where the change usually occurs, and conducted the procedure in the "waiting room" (where I was the only person waiting) allowing me to leapfrog the previous patient whose procedure was going to take an hour compared to my 5 minutes. "We'll get you in and out quickly, shall we?" Dr. Hall told me as he nicked one of the packet of Bourbons left out on the side for the patient's use. I delight in the fact that he is not only an apparently good doctor, he is a pleasant human being who actually talks to his patients and builds a relationship with them.

The change was quick and uneventful in terms of my ability to walk or function. Now I have to monitor how the pain management goes for the next two days, and then call his secretary in order to let Dr. Hall know whether the concentration needs to be upped again. But the initial fear, of moving one step closer to being permanently bed-bound, hasn't happened.

I did think to myself after last night's post, complaining about the possibility of being in a wheelchair is an extremely selfish concern, and to some ears would sound very petty - after all, many people have had to face it and coped remarkably well. The reaction I had to my colostomy was tempered by a similar realisation: for many people, the creation of a stoma in the side and use of bags to collect waste material, is actually an extremely welcome procedure - for people with Crone's disease for example, a colostomy enables them to live without terrible pain and the embarrassment of faecal incontinence. That having been said, mind you, I am pleased I don't have to use the chair just yet!

Tomorrow afternoon sees the appointment with Dr. Anne Garry, the palliative care doctor. Sarah or I will add a post tomorrow to let you know how that's gone.

4 comments:

Val said...

pfffff.... i have been looking at your page frequently today... thank you for letting us know!!! :-)... and... please do not start going down the path of guilt... you are "human" (an extraordinary to that.. but still!!!) and as such you are intitle to "your" moments... but that is why we love you all the more!! BIG HUGS TO ALL OF YOU! :-)

Julia said...

Hi Dave
Ok this is the second time i have typed a message becasue the first one got lost because i had not registered! I have lost my blogger virginity to you, so there you go you lucky beast.

So glad to hear from Sarah about yesterday, i hope it goes well this afternoon too. Would you like to meet my hound Barney? I could bring him over to meet you all in my eternal quest to convert every family to own a dog.
Actually, if i am honest it not that great so far he just bites me and craps everywhere.
also let me know if you want another open top ride, i will allow you to stand up in the car whilst travelling at 70mph along the A64 again! (don't think i did not notice!)
Have you seen Mama Mia? If not, a copy is heading your way! Love to you all, see you soon xxxxx

Julia said...

Hi Dave
This is the very first time i have done one of these things so you are bloody well honoured! Good to hear yesterday went well, hope this afternoon feels the same for you.
Do you want to meet my hound Barney? If you fancy a trip out with the roof down (or up) let me know. I will allow you to stand up in it again whilst travelling at 70mph on a dual carriageway again, only if we can listen to Elbow though! Have you seen Mama Mia? if not i will post a dvd through the door tomorrow, it is a must see! Big hugs (nice photo of you on the beach too) xxxxxxxxxx

Julia said...

So now as usual, i look a complete dick, because now that i have looked, my original message is there too. Also whilst typing this to you Barney has ripped up the carpet! More hugs and kisses.