Sunday 30 November 2008

What a difference a (few) day(s) make.......

Sarah again. Well what a difference a few days make. There was considerable activity on the seismic scale last week that left me reeling as you could probably tell from my last post! Thanks to all of you who got in touch to support me, it really touched my heart, a special mention for Kevin who sent me a lovely bunch of flowers (and Jayne doesn't mind!) - there you go a namecheck at last - all the cards and messages were also a great support! It was good to have a little bit of a rant as at times I feel I sometimes try too hard to be enlightened about the whole situation. It would be distinctly abnormal at times not to get upset - this is after all a profoundly upsetting circumstance to be in.

The fact that the fundraising game broke the £1k mark also uplifted both of us especially as we are not only getting donations from loads of people that we know, love and value but also now from people that we have not even met which is great. We are planning to widen the net this week by seeking some publicity from the local paper and Macmillan so will let you know how that goes.

Dave has still had a few ups and downs in the last few days and pain management is definitely becoming more and more problematic so we will need to seek advice on that. Fortunately we had few plans for this weekend which enabled us to go with the flow a little and had little pressure to get too many things done. Our general domestic chores were interspersed yesterday by visits from Claire and Hattie and later on Allison and Michael. Dave also took the opportunity to give me some DIY training. We had had to buy a mirror for Emma's bedroom so that I would stand some chance of getting a couple of minutes in the bathroom on a morning, as her make up application is becoming an ever increasingly complex and time consuming task. I am generally quite handy around the house and good at things like decorating but had never held that manly tool the drill in my hand before. However, with a bit of coaching from Dave (not generally recognised for his DIY skills I have to say) the thing was on the wall. The emotions after completing the task were weird -a sense of achievement in completing the task but a few tears for the fact that I need to learn these tasks for when Dave is not around. Still at least then I will get possession of the drill which he has jealously guarded for all these years. And maybe even the electric screwdriver...........

Today was also a lazy day. Managed to get to the gym this morning. I don't get there very often now for obvious reasons but I do find that some physical exercise when I can get it does help my mental state. Again going to the gym, swimming and any other physical exercise are all tinged with sadness as they were things we always did together, but it did clear my head. This afternoon we managed a couple of hours out at our friends Tricia and Rob's house for Sunday lunch. I really need to give them both a mention as they are stunning friends. Tricia is a slightly mad and very funny Irishwoman who is so kind I can be moved to tears just at the sight of her at the moment, as she is always there when I need her ready to do what is needed. Rob is a born again archetypal dour Yorkshireman, but we all know that despite that cool exterior he is a complete mushball who would do anything for anybody. They have both known very sad times as their gorgeous first baby Callum died very suddenly and without explanation nearly 15 years ago. Having had that kind of experience they cope well with people who are having difficult times and there is an understanding between us. Their house is a great place to go for us as it doesn't matter what is going on with Dave at any time, they are so understanding that we can handle anything. Today we just had a nice lunch and a good laugh which was just what we needed.

So what will this week hold? Hopefully not too many surprises unlike last week. Cassette change tomorrow but no change in dosage so the wheelchair should be in abeyance for at least a week. We do, however, need to chase the zimmer frame which has not yet been delivered. The weakness in Dave's legs means that he needs something a little more substantial than the walking stick, especially after a boost from the pain catheter.

No comments: