Sunday 22 February 2009

The Big Day

Just a short post about the funeral. It was one hell of a day for myself and Emma but I am told it went really well. Can't remember much about the service myself as I was completely overwhelmed and probably still in shock, but I am told that the service captured the essence of Dave(or "daveness" as we call it now!) and was very moving. It is difficult to know definite numbers but we believe more than 200 people were at the service.

The Chapel looked beautiful with displays of photos of Dave along with some of his paintings and sketches and beautiful flowers. The Reception seemed to go marvellously well. The food was all supplied by friends and relatives, although it was so good that numerous people thought we had professional caterers in! A good few glasses of champagne, wine and beer were drunk. In short, it was the kind of proper party that Dave would have liked and in true Dave style people mixed and mingled marvellously well!

More than a few thank yous are required........in no particular order!

To Jayne D for the Orders of Service. Beautifully prepared and printed at zero cost courtesy of a friendly printing firm in Leeds.

To Shari for making the DVD, taking the photos and organising the music. To Greg with assisting with the photos as well (can't wait to see them!).

To Julia for managing the catering (and organising all the display materials you clever girl) and to Hilary, Clare P, Jan, Trish and Rob, Claire M and a whole host of others for assisting in the organisation of the catering.

To Len and Lauren for organising the bar and to Sandy and others for helping. (Sorry I was so busy circulating I am sure I didn't see you all in action!). Sorry you didn't get a drink Len - I owe you one!

To PEP for the wine and the champagne and to Claire M for the beer and soft drinks and to everyone who contributed food or drinks. You are too numerous to mention!

To Amanda and Sue for the beautiful flowers which are now brightening up the Reception at the hospice. They were stunning.

To Irene for an absolutely wonderful service.

To Janet and the team at the Cemetery for all the help and support provided.

To Sue and Rymers for so much help and support in organising the funeral and sending me Irene. I feel very lucky to have found you.

And to all who contributed to the service: Howard and Tina, Sue, Amanda and Vicki, Stu, Paul, Steve (and Eilis!) and Leslie. You were all great.

I am sure I have missed people out as so many people participated in making Friday I great day. If I haven't mentioned you specifically please forgive me. Please also forgive me if I didn't get to speak to you personally - there were just too many people to get around!

And now to me. "How are you feeling?" is what people seem to want to know. Well, it is fair to say that after all the madness of the last couple of weeks spent organising the funeral I do feel quite low It is also fair to say that I am extremely tired. I was exhausted at the point where Dave died and the rollercoaster of the last two weeks has left me even more exhausted.

The predominant emotion I feel is just very very sad that Dave is no longer with us. The challenge of Emma and I adjusting to our new "normality" looms quite large at the moment, but if we can get through the last 3 years, I am sure Emma and I will rise to the challenge. After all, there is no way Dave would want us to sit around moping for too long! Emma is going back to school tomorrow morning and I will begin the next major task which is sorting out all of Dave's affairs, which is something I have not even started. I am also hoping for a bit of time to reflect on everything that has happened and to have some quiet "me" time for the first time in a very very long time.

And before I go, I must just mention that Stuart is going to do the Great Yorkshire Run at the beginning of September in honour of Dave. There is a link to his fundraising page on his Facebook page. If we can raise £500 he will run in those shorts from 1986 (from the photo display at the funeral.......:-)) and if we can get to £1k he will run dressed in the shorts and disguised as the 118 118 bloke from the adverts (not much of a makeover required there if he can regrow the moustache!). Don't forget Ben is also running the Hastings half marathon (his second this year) in March for Macmillan. His fundraising page is at www.justgiving.com/benelsey. Thanks to both of you for your support. Let's keep the "daveness" going.......!

No comments: