Tuesday 10 February 2009

To Infinity and Beyond....

Time to write the news that I guess most of you will either already know or will be expecting.......

Dave died yesterday (Monday 9th February) at 9.15 a.m. in the hospice after what had been a very difficult few days. His death at the very end was, however, very peaceful and a wonderful energy was present in the room.

The support from the nursing staff in the hospice was wonderful and my "bestest friends" Tricia and Claire supported me in a way which was absolutely extraordinary. I truly do not know how I would have got through the whole thing without them. Emma once again surpassed herself and was absolutely amazing and our relationship is now at a whole new level. There is a unique bond between us which will never be broken as a result of this shared experience.

At the moment, Emma and I are going through a huge range of emotions, which seem to come in waves and which are probably to be expected. The predominant ones being a mixture of shock and numbness. Although we have all known for a long while that Dave's illness was terminal, when his death actually came it has had a very unreal quality. I think we both keep expecting him to walk through the door with a big smile on his face and his big booming laugh and say that the whole thing was all a silly joke or dream.

I went to the Registry Office with Tricia to register his death today and simply could not believe that at the age of 47 my wonderful husband was dead and my daughter had lost her father and that we have been robbed of the 30 or so years we should still have had together. Cancer is a very terrible illness and even though we have given it our best shot, it feels a bit like Dave never really stood a chance. The die was already cast. But that's life for you, totally random!

I am in the process of organising the funeral and will post details on the blog as soon as they are finalised.

As for the blog, a substantial number of people have told me that they have got so much out of reading it and have asked me whether I would continue with it as I go through the grieving process. At the moment, I am not sure if I am brave enough to share my feelings as I embark on the next rollercoaster, but it is something I will seriously consider and will certainly do if I feel I am up to the task!

No comments: